Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thing 21 - Student 2.0 Tools

The Assignment Calculator for college students was created by the University of Minnesota Libraries. This gives you a 12 step research timeline with recommended resources based on the subject selected. I entered a real project I am working on to see what would come up. The result looked like a very orderly and logical plan. Since I have already started this project, I am about on step 6 or 7.

The Research Project Calculator (RPC) consists of 5 steps and is a simplified version of the above, designed for high schoolers.

The Teacher guide to the RPC was full of handouts, some of which could be used in a library setting. For example, I thought that the one on What is Research and the ones on Plagiarism would be good for helping students in the library.

I think that teaching students how to get organized is very important, and the earlier they learn this, the better. I would encourage students to try these tools because if they stick to a timeline, then they will be in control and less stressed at the very last minute. It would increase the likelihood of turning in a superior paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment