Saturday, March 28, 2009

Thing 20 - Books 2.0

In the “Future of the Book” I was reminded why I have decided against running out and buying a Kindle (besides the high price). It's just very basic: “Here the paper affords a persistent performative space while the Kindle affords a momentary screen image.” [March 22, 2009]

I read “Literacy Debate: Online, R U Really Reading?” I think this is a silly debate. Of course it's reading. As for quality, the quality of online reading varies just as much as for print materials.

The NEA reports that “Fiction Reading Increases for Adults.” They have found “reassuring evidence that the dumbing down of our culture is not inevitable.” Well, that's a relief.

I looked at TwitterLit and found it amusing. I bookmarked the site on Delicious to go back to later, but I did not sign up for the emails. They have “1400 first lines posted and counting.”

I am familiar with the site “What Should I Read Next?” It gave me 10 suggestions when I typed in Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell along with links to Amazon.com. This is very easy Reader's Advisory that patrons could do for themselves if we tell them to try out this site.

Book Glutton and Read Unbound pulls people together in the act of reading. The site says,“Books are conversations. Why wait until you're finished to discuss a book? Chat chapter by chapter.”

Booksprouts is an online community for book clubs. It makes it easy to create a club or join a club.

At Librivox you can listen for free to audio books in the public domain. They invite people to volunteer to be readers.

One Minute Critic was only mildly interesting. I did not see any way to look up a particular review. They just seem to be categorized by which month the review is posted. This is not really useful.

At “Just One More Book” you can find podcasts for children's books.

There are many more sites that promote reading listed on our Thing 20 and I plan on exploring these further at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment