Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thing 19 - Other Social Networks

The idea of specialized social networks interests me more than Facebook/MySpace because they seem like they would be more serious and more adult oriented.

Webjunction is a network for library staff, but it seemed kind of sterile to me. I looked around but did not get much out of it. It offers classes that you have to pay for. I looked at their Our Partners list and did not see Florida listed as one of their State Libraries partners.

Ning has a Library 2.0 list with 77 groups, such as Government Documents (44 members), Librarians in Turkey (13 members), Florida Public Librarians (24 members), and Medical Librarians (10 members).

I liked the opening page on Gather better than these other two because it gave reasons to join Gather that made sense. In About Gather it calls itself the premier social network for the over 30 crowd. There are thousands of Gather Groups for discussions of different interests. The Gather Books Essential claims 51,000 members and about 700 new posts in the past week. That seems a bit overwhelming to me. I could never keep up with all that.

The only network that I had any interest in was Goodreads which I had looked at a few weeks ago for my Adult Services class at USF (go Bulls!). I think I would like to use Goodreads for Reader's Advisory in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment